Relaying through Smart Host

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Aug 20 08:06:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 12:18, Steve deCarteret wrote:
> I am trying to get my Sendmail server to send through my ISPs SMTP server.
> I've defined the address in the mc file, and my server can resolve the
> address, but outbound mail from another host on the network gets the
> relaying denied message.  Is there a relay feature I am missing?

Are they sending it through your sendmail server?
Is it your sendmail server is denying it?
Note that most installs sendmail only listens to the looback address.

> Mail works fine when the host's client is configured to go straight through
> the ISPs SMTP....

I think your sendmail server is denying it.
try
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
dnl #
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

and you have to set up relaying in /etc/mail/access

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel