Cron useage question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 22 12:19:38 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 03:57, James Wilkinson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Humm, so it does!  Thank you Alexander.  Can anyone explain why
>> the man 1 crontab page has not been deleted?  Its so worthless it
>> certainly should be nuked, 100%, totally.  1993 copyright indeed.
>> This is 2004 in case nobody has told Paul Vixie.
>
>Can you explain why you think it's not needed? Crontab the command
> is by far the easiest way of editing personal crontabs. (Besides,
> it appears on a number of other Unices: I haven't checked, but
> there are quite possibly Posix compatibility issues).
>
>James.

Because its the file presented as default when typeing 'man crontab',
and it tells you absolutely nothing of value other than the authors
name and copyright date.  The brief description of its intended use
is so terse it doesn't enhance ones knowledge in any other way.

That said, what I'd really like to see a text someplace that defines
what manpage goes where, as that would help to prevent my confusion
in the future.  And that of course is the real problem, the "dumb old
fart" syndrome. :-(  The fact that I wrote a clone of it in MC6809EP
assembly to run on os9 systems 17 years ago has long since faded from
my memory banks.  Sad, but true.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)