stuck on port 25

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sun Aug 22 13:27:45 UTC 2004

Jean Létourneau wrote:
> Good day,
>           I spend several hours trying to figure what is not working here...
> I check the archived and probably over looked.
>
> I can connect my port 25 if I use the terminal on the localhost (Linux box),
> but not from my lan. I disable the firewall, same thing. My service port 25
> point to mail, and mail is there in my /bin, I bet you this is something
> very simple that I keep overlooking. But what? can you help??

If I understand your problem correctly, you can't connect to sendmail from
other machines ?
If that is the case, stop sendmail, look in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf for:
# SMTP daemon options
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

and change it to:
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA

That will tell sendmail to accept connections from any IP.
Start sendmail and try
# telnet mailsrv 25
from other machines.
I assume you can also set the DaemonPortOptions to accept only mail from
i.e. 192.168.*.* . Have a look in the manual - I've not tried this yet.

Cheers,
Hannes.