Installing from a server

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Sun Aug 22 19:26:26 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:

>How do I go about installing FC2 from a server? I need to update a
>machine based in America (I'm in the UK) and so have to install from the
>UK.

If you've got an FTP server in the UK, you can loop mount the Linux
ISO's on that FTP server, and hit that server from the US via a boot up
CD designed for the job. Remember though that you are going to drag
several Gig of data from the UK to the US.

Someone in the US would have to mount the CD and boot the box, and
supply a command line like :
      linux ks=floppy
at the appropriate point. This assumes you've created a kickstart
configuration on a floppy that would also have to be mounted. There may
even be a way of automating the entering of that command line, but I'm
not aware of how that might happen.

The process is entirely automated after someone hits the enter key on
the "linux ks=floppy" line.

I install most boxes this way, even though all my resources are local. I
can't be bothered swapping CD's.

I can supply you with details if this looks promising. This does assume
that you can create a kickstart appropriate for the hardware you intend
to install on.

You may also be able to do a DVD install using a kickstart file thereby
avoiding the telecommunications entirely, although I haven't done that.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com