Network configuration probelms (still)

Kellie Blackwell kb4fsu at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 22 20:55:56 UTC 2004

>Am So, den 22.08.2004 schrieb Kellie Blackwell um 22:02:

>> Ever since I upgraded my RH7.3 box to Fedora Core 2, I have not been able
to use my network card.
>> It seems something in my setup thinks I want IPv6 instead of IPv4. During
the boot process, I get a
>> message saying that eth0 is started but when I do an 'ifconfig -a ', all
I have is a sit0 device and no eth0.

>> My ethernet card is a Netgear FA311 and the kernel release is 2.6.5-1.358

>> The only thing that look at all suspect to me are the mention of the
2.4.x kernel driver and the IPv6 over
>> IPv4 tunneling driver.
>> Does this mean that someting in the kernel is set to use only IPv6?

>No. I doubt IPv6 has a bad side effect in your situation.

>> If I boot from the CD in rescue mode and answer Yes when asked if I want
to start the network, eth0 is
>> configured but when I boot normally I always get sit0. I have tried
setting NETWORKING_IPV6=NO in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network and even tried renaming all the IPV6 related files
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>> to no avail.

>Please post following output:

>cat /proc/interrupts

               CPU0
   0:     4692579:    XT-PIC  timer
   1:           2881:    XT-PIC  i8042
   2:                 0:    XT-PIC  cascade
   5:               95:    XT-PIC  uhci_hcd
   8:                 1:    XT-PIC  rtc
 10:                 1:    XT-PIC  EMU10K1
 12:         74970:    XT-PIC  i8042
 14:         17812:    XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         42972:    XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:              0:
ERR:               0:

Interesting! Where did IRQ 11 go that was mentioned in the messages file?

>cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no