Windows Media players

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 03:10:58 UTC 2004

Claude Jones wrote:

> Aaron Gaudio wrote:
>
>>> I was wondering if this is the best (if not only) Windows Media
>>> plugin that works with Mozilla?
>>>

>> Have you tried totem (or xine, which totem is based on)?
>>

> I just looked into Totem. It states that it's a media player for the
> Gnome desktop. Will it also work under KDE?

Mplayer should work just fine from an rpm install, but I don't remember
if you have to install the codecs seperately or not. I don't think thats
necessary with rpms, but it is with a source compile/install. Mplayer
was my main media player, then I installed Xine and was impressed with
it, so I use it as default now. I would recommend Xine for video and
XMMS is a good music-jukebox type program. I keep Mplayer because it has
mencoder for encoding DVDs to mpeg1/2 or mpeg4. Kplayer is a KDE media
player based on mplayer, and it is comparible to XMMS as far as a music
jukebox, but all of the above work for me under both gnome and KDE, so
you can use them all if you want.