reset command in FC2

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Aug 23 07:06:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 00:21 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I installed FC2 for the first time today.  I had been using FC1 and
> enjoying it until things started messing up and performing operations as
> root kept causing the PC to freeze up.

Performing operations as root often does.

> I have a question:  The 'reset' command in FC1 completely cleared the
> terminal window and gave a fresh shell prompt.

Yes, it did...  Although I'm not sure that is the correct behavior.

> I liked this because I am a programmer I often get lots
> of errors when I try to compile a program.  Using reset in FC1 allowed
> me to be sure that I was only seeing the errors from the most recent
> compile attempt.  However, in FC2 typing gives a prompt at the top of
> the terminal window, but does not clear the screen nor the terminal
> buffer

Are you using gnome-terminal?  Terminal menu -> Reset and Clear item

Or, you can copy your old terminfo from FC1 /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm
into the ~/.terminfo/x/ directory.  But it may cause other things to
malfunction.  I haven't a clue.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/