Windows Media players

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Aug 23 14:18:31 UTC 2004

Douglas Furlong wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:10 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>

>>Douglas Furlong wrote:
>>

>The reason why it is appearing int he browser window is that I beleive
>you have installed the "browser plugin", xine has a similar application
>"gxine", which acts in a similar way. This is not always ideal, one way
>of working around this is to right click on the image, and the tell it
>to save the file, then open it manually, or as your doing already
>pasting the URL in to the media player of your choice.
>
>I am hoping, the easiest way of stopping Mozilla (and it's derivatives,
>firefox for example), is to remove the "plugin" from it's plugins
>directory.
>
>These are fortunately (for flexibility) and unfortunately (bugger to
>track them all down), in numerous places. A good rule of thumb however
>is to look in the following locations.
>
>/var/lib/browerser-<version>/
>/home/<username>/.pheonix/plugins
>/home/<username>/.mozilla/plugins
>
>If you remove the file that look appropriate, then when you restart
>mozilla I'm hoping it will no longer try to auto run the movies.
>
>the url about:plugins is handy as that tells you which ones are
>"registered".
>

>>And yes, your help was useful and appreciated.
>>

>Glad to hear it, I was not meaning offence by my query about the FAR (I
>only happened to read that page on friday when cleaning up my
>bookmarks).
>
>Just to confirm, it IS playing the movies just not quite in the way you
>would like?

My attempt at levitas was not intended as a shot across your bow - sorry
if it came across that way. To confirm: mplayer is playing movies, and
it is listed as the default player in about:plugins for nearly all media
files. My only critique of it, now, is that it offers no options when it
plays, or none that I've discovered. Clicking on a Windows Media link in
my browser window pops up a new full sized window which says that
mplayer is buffering the file, and shortly thereafter, the media begins
playing as a tiny window in the upper left hand corner of the new full
sized browser window. Right clicking on this video doesn't offer any
controls, and there don't appear to be any controls added to Mozilla's
menus, so I'm stuck with the default settings, positioned as I
describe.  I don't want to offer comparisons to Redmond, but, in this
area, they do offer a dialogue asking whether I want to play media files
from within Internet Explorer, or play them in their own window - I'm
wondering if there is such a similar setting that can be invoked from
within Mozilla?