Windows Media players

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Aug 23 17:03:56 UTC 2004

> Douglas Furlong wrote:
> I couldn't figure out where to find the programs. Thanks for
> your patience in this matter.

RPM is your friend here, you can find all files that have been
installed
with a package by doing the following.

rpm -ql <package name>

This will spew out a list of files that were installed (additional
files
like tempory files, and user customised files won't be listed).
For the
"executable" you want to search for things in a "bin" directory,
these
are typicaly :- /usr/bin /bin /usr/local/bin

Some times the list provided by the above command can be way too
long,
so try rpm -ql <package name> | less, this will give you each
screen and
allow you to press space bar and other navigational keys.

Another handy command is rpm -ql /path/to/file/name this will tell
you
the package that is associated with a file.

IF you know the program name (I.E. you just type it in to an xterm
and
it works), then you can type which <executable> and it will tell
you
which program your actually running.

Once you are armed with this particular information, then go back
in to
the browser, and when it asks for the program name, put in the
full path
to the program and it should work for you.

Hopefully we are getting closer :)

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator

We are, indeed, getting closer. I have left home, and am at work,
now. I have a Linux box here as well, but, not as far along in
configuration -- it may take me a while to try this. I'll post
when I succeed, or run into new roadblocks. Thanks again.

Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
Leesburg, VA, USA