Trying out schedulers

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Mon Aug 23 22:03:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 16:37, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>
> >    The only one I know about now is elevator=deadline, but that not
> > only got me nowhere, I think it's the IO scheduler, not cpu.
>
> that's certainly correct -- r. love has a short section on I/O
> schedulers in his book, "Linux Kernel Development", which talks about
> I/O schedulers like the linus elevator, deadline I/O scheduler and
> anticipatory I/O scheduler.  i suspect that's not the info that you
> really wanted, though.

    Nope, everything but.  Just like the Google entries.  But this is
new stuff, so it's gonna be that way. And it's complicated, too; making
just one selection opens a roadmap to a whole host of detailed options,
too, and to make it worse, it's somewhat up in the air.

    This isn't the first event in a series of changes that make FC2
more-beta than previous versions....except maybe 4.x->5.x with all the
library changes.  But that was simple compared to this.

    Do you have any idea what command lines I'd use to chose a scheduler
option?  I've seen sched.c, and a flock of scheduler programs....I just
don't really know how to chose'em.

    elevator=as?  I'd like to try the AS first, then PB...

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller