AMDK6

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 22:08:17 UTC 2004

Shardul Vyas wrote:
> i read for kernel 2.2 specifications--
>
> "AMD K6 is not supported"

Erm -- what? Where?

Mike Burger wrote:
> Fedora Core doesn't make use of the 2.2 kernel...it uses 2.4 (FC1) or 2.6
> (FC2/3).
>
> I wouldn't go back to a 2.2 kernel, at this point.

True. But even if there was a problem with 2.2 and the K6 at one point
(and I never heard of it), it didn't last long. The K6 came out in 1997,
the K6-2 in 1998, and 2.4 came out right at the end of 2000, if I recall
correctly.

So 2.2 was the current kernel for most of the time the K6 was current.

The K6 was a fine processor. It's a bit slow by today's standards, but
unless you want to do lots of compiling or CPU-intensive stuff, it
should do you fine (unless you've got one of the SiS support
chipsets...)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Hooray. "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" is back on,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | complete with strip poker. Yes, this is on the radio.