USB enclosure and partition size (Update)

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 23 23:47:49 UTC 2004

Joel Jaeggli schrieb:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Markus Huber wrote:
>
>> Just formatted a Maxtor 200 GB ATA 133 HD - one partition, ext3.  I
>> want to use it in an USB enclosure (CP Technologies CP-U2I-3A).
>>
> If your usb enclosure supports 48bit lba block mode it should work
> with any size disk you can buy currently. I have 120GB and 250GB
> drives in USB enclosures that are well behaved.

Well ... obviously not. The hdd freezes during copying stuff on it. On
the other hand: it was very cheap (almost half the price it was a few
months ago). So I did a bit of DIY: small hdd out, new big one in. And I
will use the USB enclosure with the small one (60 GB) for swapping files
with my laptop or at work (teachers are allowed to do that ;-).

Markus