Toshiba Laptop

Gary Allen Vollink gvfedora at corvu.com
Tue Aug 24 00:27:37 UTC 2004

Gabriel Mititica wrote:

>I have an old Toshiba Laptop Satellite 1800.

>However, the fan seems not to work.

As the shameful user of a Toshiba Satellite 1800-S207, running FC2 and
the 2.6.8 kernel (part of the up2date default selected updates), I can
assure you that my fan works as expected (speeding up and slowing down
according to average CPU usage) just as it did when the laptop was
running Slackware 9 and *shivers* Windows XP before it.

>How can I controll it (if possible)?

The kernel should already know how to deal with the fan as part of the
ACPI code.

>If I upgrade the BIOS will help (and to which
>version)? (The one installed is 1.1 and any attempts
>with >=1.3 from Toshiba website failed)

I don't know what version of BIOS I have, but whenever moving BIOS
versions, it's typically advisable to go to the most recent version that
Toshiba (or whatever your PC manufacturer) has to offer.  I can be quite
certain that the BIOS on this computer is from at least 3 years ago.