help with nvidia driver and XFree

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 24 01:38:56 UTC 2004

François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> I have a problem with nvidia driver and XFree: At every boot something --I don't
> know what, this thing doesn't sign its crime!-- write a new XF86Config file and
> overwrite MY XF86Config writen according to the instructions given by nvidia;
> example: nvidia tells to replace "Driver nv" which is obsolete, by "Driver
> nvidia" and the monster everytime replaces "nvidia" by "nv".
>
> And so on....
>
> I thought that one thing that was exasperating with windows was to never know
> where the config stuff is and where the things are put when you install
> something....  I can see today that some linux distributions are going to make
> the same!
>
> Let me write MY config and help me only with man pages and examples!!!
>
> So much time wasted to found out why my nvidia driver was not loaded!!
>
> Thank you for a quick answer.

I have NEVER heard of that happening. Are you running any weird
non-standard software? Are you sure you're actually SAVING your changes
when you modify? Have you tried running in mode 3 just to test all this
so you can start and stop X at will? If running multiple configurations,
are you sure what you're modifying and the one configuration that's
actually being used are the same?

I seriously think this may be something you're overlooking, because, as
you mention, this isn't Windows. There are no monsters.

Regards,
Ed.