USB enclosure and partition size (Update)

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Tue Aug 24 02:03:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 01:47 +0200, Markus Huber wrote:
> Joel Jaeggli schrieb:
> > Markus Huber wrote:
> > > Just formatted a Maxtor 200 GB ATA 133 HD - one partition, ext3.  I
> > > want to use it in an USB enclosure (CP Technologies CP-U2I-3A).
> > If your usb enclosure supports 48bit lba block mode it should work
> > with any size disk you can buy currently.
> Well ... obviously not. The hdd freezes during copying stuff on it.

On RHL9, I had trouble with a Maxtor 200 GB ATA133 disk in an USB 2.0
enclosure.  While running mke2fs the system would freeze (no blinking
lights, no keyboard, no sysrq, etc).  However, I was able to run mke2fs
while that disk was connected to the IDE bus.  Then the disk was swapped
back into the USB enclosure and I immediately dumped 80 GB of data onto
the disk.  It periodically hangs for a second but otherwise works fine.
The same enclosure with other (smaller) disks does not hang even while
formatting.  I have not tried writing above 137 GB.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/