"FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

Phil Thomson philthom at freeshell.org
Tue Aug 24 02:24:58 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 15:09, Phil Thomson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After no less than three attempts, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed
>> and booting on an old 233 with 64 MB of RAM that I found in the garbage
>> (!). But now, upon boot, Fedora tries to "bring up" eth0 for a long time
>> before saying it "FAILED". Does this simply mean the ethernet adapter is
>> broken (given that I found this box in the trash, that may well be, though
>> it seems perfectly functional in all other ways)? Or is there a .conf file
>> or something I need to tweak somewhere?
>
> Did you configure the ethernet adapter?  It may just be trying to get a
> DHCP address, and cannot find a server.  Configure the network card for
> your network, and then try to activate it.  If you don't know how to
> configure it or activate it, just let us know.
>
> Forrest

During the install, I chose DHCP for my network connection method. I don't
think I came across any other screens for network or ethernet config. I
looked around in /etc for something related to network or dhcp, but didn't
see anyting obvious.

My network sitch: small home network with 3 computers on a hub (in my
room) and three other computers in other rooms connected to a 4-port
router upstairs. The router address is 192.168.0.1. It contains a DHCP
server for the home network and it's our gateway to the internet. What do
I need to tell Fedora to do to get on the network?

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

=========
Phil Thomson
home: http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson