Cannot start Fedora 2.

Soo Sip Boon sbsoo111 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 02:27:35 UTC 2004

Yesterday i have get my Fedora 2 start for the first
times, it was great to meet the first screen of FC2.

If you cannot start the fedora, please try the
following steps:

1. Boot your computer from fedora disk 1.
2. Type "linux rescue"
3. go what ever ask until the console prompt
4. your lunux system files should sit on
   "cd \mnt\sysimages\"
5. again "cd \etc\"
6. "vi inittab"
7. you are now in vi prompt. thing going crazy here
because cursor cannot move. you can use "g,h,j,j,l" to
move a cursor "x to delete" (suppose use shift+I to
enable edit mode, but i dont know why i can't do that)
8. move to line with id:5:?????????"
9. try what ever, to change the 5 to "#"
10. Esc then ":wq"
11. files saved, restart you computer and boot from
hard disk this times.
12. when machine starting, it will detect error "#"
and ask you to enter the runlevel. choose "3".
13. you now suppose to get to console mode.
14. hit "vi \etc\X11\xorg.conf"
15. change the monitor resolution to correct one.
16. change the VGA card from "nv" to "nvidia".
17. Save the files and quit vi
17. hit "sh Nvidia-??????????.run" to install the
nvidia driver.
16. restart.
17. you now able to get to the screen with nvidia logo
prompt up for the starting.
18. Say thank you for every one that get attention.