"FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

Phil Thomson philthom at freeshell.org
Tue Aug 24 06:51:53 UTC 2004

>>> Did you configure the ethernet adapter?  It may just be trying to get a
>>> DHCP address, and cannot find a server.  Configure the network card for
>>> your network, and then try to activate it.  If you don't know how to
>>> configure it or activate it, just let us know.
>>>
>>> Forrest
>>
>> During the install, I chose DHCP for my network connection method. I don't
>> think I came across any other screens for network or ethernet config. I
>> looked around in /etc for something related to network or dhcp, but didn't
>> see anyting obvious.
>>
>> My network sitch: small home network with 3 computers on a hub (in my
>> room) and three other computers in other rooms connected to a 4-port
>> router upstairs. The router address is 192.168.0.1. It contains a DHCP
>> server for the home network and it's our gateway to the internet. What do
>> I need to tell Fedora to do to get on the network?
>
> This may be a silly question, but aside from asking if there's a cable
> from the Fedora system to your hub, is there any cabling between the hub
> in your room and the router upstairs?  If not, you'll never get a DHCP
> address...there needs to be communication.
>
> If there is a cable between your hub and the router, and there's a cable
> between your computer and the hub, my next question is going to be whether
> or not your're plugged into a port, on your hub, that might be set up as
> an uplink port (ie, crossover enabled).

This is a very sensible question actually, and something I should have
checked sooner. I have 3 computers (including this one) hooked up to the
hub. My Mac OS X iBook (on which I am writing this very email) and my
other PC are both able to talk to the router.

I did just now try different cables (in case there was a bad cable) and
different ports on the hub, but nothing changed. My Fedora box still can't
reach the router.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

=========
Phil Thomson
home: http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson