Problems with Nvidia nvsound module

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Aug 24 09:52:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:14:25 +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:

> Morning.
>
> I've upgraded from RH9 to Fedora Core 2. All went very smoothly. Only
> problem is getting sound working.
>
> I'm using the Nvidia nforce drivers - downloaded the current set:
>
> 	NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0283-pkg1.run
>
> Seems like a really nice installation script. No problems at first.
> Followed through their documentation and got the eth0 driver working,
> but I've some issues getting sound working using nvsound.
>
> My modprobe.conf file is:
>
> alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
> alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
> options ne irq=10
> alias eth0 nvnet
> alias usb-interface usb-ohci
> #alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias snd-card-0 nvsound
> install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
> sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1
> || :; }
> remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
> 2>&1 || :; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove
> sound-slot-0
>

> I don't know where the install and remove lines came from or what they
> do. Should they be there? What should be in this file?

No, they are left over from RHL9. With Fedora Core 2, there should be
entries which call alsactl to restore mixer settings made with
alsamixer. Clean up all sound/mixer related stuff in /etc/modprobe.conf
and rerun system-config-soundcard.

> You'll see 2 snd-card-0 entries. When using the snd-intel8x0 module I
> could get sound to work, but each time I reboot xmms is silenced and I
> have to go through sound card detection using system-config-soundcard. I
> can then run xmms with no problems

This is because you're missing the alsactl entries. Though, you need to be
careful what output driver you choose in XMMS. Fedora Core 2 comes with
ALSA, which also provides OSS compatibility drivers and device entries.