Problems with Nvidia nvsound module

Nick Pierpoint mail at pierpoint.org
Tue Aug 24 11:31:19 UTC 2004

Thanks for the quick reply

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 10:52, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:14:25 +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:

<snip/>

> > install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
> > sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1
> > remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
> > 2>&1 || :; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove
> > sound-slot-0
> >

> > I don't know where the install and remove lines came from or what they
> > do. Should they be there? What should be in this file?
>
> No, they are left over from RHL9. With Fedora Core 2, there should be
> entries which call alsactl to restore mixer settings made with
> alsamixer. Clean up all sound/mixer related stuff in /etc/modprobe.conf
> and rerun system-config-soundcard.

I removed modules.conf and changed modprobe.conf to:

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
options ne irq=10
alias eth0 nvnet
alias usb-interface usb-ohci
alias snd-card-0 nvsound

Is this what you mean by "clean up all sound/mixer related stuff"?

I tried also deleting the "alias snd-card-0" line but this stopped
system-config-soundcard from starting at all.

When I run system-config-soundcard it doesn't seem to make any changes
to modprobe.conf. Should it? Anyway - same result as before - test
sounds play fine but no joy with xmms or gnome-cd or any other player.

> > You'll see 2 snd-card-0 entries. When using the snd-intel8x0 module I
> > could get sound to work, but each time I reboot xmms is silenced and I
> > have to go through sound card detection using system-config-soundcard. I
> > can then run xmms with no problems
>
> This is because you're missing the alsactl entries. Though, you need to be
> careful what output driver you choose in XMMS. Fedora Core 2 comes with
> ALSA, which also provides OSS compatibility drivers and device entries.

How do I get these alsactl entries?

My xmms is configured with the eSound output plugin - when I try to use
the ALSA output plugin I get the following error message (when I start
xmms from the command line):

** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such
device

I get similar error messages dumped to the console when running
system-config-soundcard:

[########### nick]# system-config-soundcard
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
-8
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device

Any ideas?

--
nick