Network config help

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 12:19:58 UTC 2004

Andrew Konosky wrote:
> This is kind of an off-topic, but the computers at my school run windows
> 2000, and they use Novell networking to logon. Since I use Linux at
> home, I would like to be able to go to school and use it too, just to be
> different.

Make sure your systems administrators are OK with this.

> I had the chance to try running Knoppix today, and luckily
> the BIOS wasnt password protected, and I was able to change the boot
> order and boot in Linux. I am wondering if it would be possible to logon
> to the Windows network.

Knoppix is good at auto-detecting your network cards. If there's a DHCP
server on the network, there's a strong chance that the IP level
network will Just Work. Otherwise you would have to give the PC a
static IP address. Again, check with your systems administrators:
there's little a sysadmin likes less than someone pulling an IP
address off the top of their head and choosing the same one as the
main server.

Use /sbin/ifconfig to check what's up.

Once you've got that done, it should be a simple case of
su -
mkdir /mnt/winshare
mount -t smbfs -o username=akonosky //ntserver/share/ /mnt/winshare

Make sure you get the slashes the right way round.

Good luck!

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Really, *really* bad headlines:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case