NTPD works as client not as server

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Aug 24 12:22:03 UTC 2004

David L. Martin wrote:
> Thanks for the help, I'm not sure "why" that is different from what I
> did, but it works.  Thanks.

If you delete the "restrict ... notrust nomodify notrap" line, your clients
will inherit the default permissions (restrict default ignore), which are even
more restrictive than the ones you deleted.

In theory the "notrust" restriction should be used for clients because the
server should not trust the clients for time. It should still be able to serve
them though. It took a lot of experimentation to figure out that it was the
"notrust" restriction that was causing the problem when I first came across it
myself. I'm not sure whether it's the software or the documentation that's
wrong, but one of them must be.

Cheers, Paul.