Actual death of Loki games?

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Aug 24 13:02:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 07:25:39AM -0500, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

>     Lokisoft was spectacular; they could turn a mainstream title into a
> Linux title that works perfectly in under two months, including the box
> art and everything.  And updates were automatic.
>
>     But now they're gone (where DID that amazing tool go?) and I'm still
> running the games they created.  I bought many of them, Civilization,
> Heros, Railroad Tychoon...and despite the changes, they've kept working
> without modification all this time.
>
>     Until now...
>
>     These games just segfault now; probably missing libraries. They all
> do.  Here's an example of Civilization under strace:

I noticed the same a couple of days ago with the Loki title "Sid Meier's
Alpha Centauri". Problems started with kernel kernel-2.6.8-1.521;
rebooting back to kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 makes it possible to run this
game again. (I noticed no difference between the SMP and non-SMP kernels
on a HT-enabled P4)

So, it must be the kernel. I haven't had time to file a bug report about
it yet (which also means I shouldn't have had the time to play games
anyway).

But anyway, it isn't just you, it's the latest kernel that is causing
this problem.

David Jansen