Problems with Nvidia nvsound module

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Aug 24 16:15:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:02:24 +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:10, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:32:27 +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:
> >
> > > After booting I get no sound.
> > >
> > > If I run system-config-soundcard I then get sound (although no changes
> > > to /etc/modprobe.conf).
> > >
> > > If I then reboot, I get no sound again.
> > >
> > > I'm losing the configuration somewhere.
> >
> > Okay, try the following. Cut out the "class: AUDIO" block from
> > /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, then run /usr/sbin/kudzu as root user.  That should
> > detect your soundcard again and give the chance to configure it.
>
> I deleted the AUDIO blocks and ran kudzu again. It put identical blocks
> back. One for snd-intel8x0 and one for nvsound (remembering that nvsound
> isn't installed anymore - must be a remnant somewhere).
>
> Unfortunately no difference. Still have to run system-config-soundcard
> each time I boot.

If kudzu didn't call the s-c-s backend which entered alsactl entries
into modprobe.conf, I'm at a loss.

You could enter them manually and run "alsamixer ; /usr/sbin/alsactl
store", though:

install YOURDRIVERHERE /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install YOURDRIVERHERE && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove YOURDRIVERHERE { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove YOURDRIVERHERE

> Also notived a happy side effect that although the system sounds and
> xmms work fine (once I've re-run s-c-c), the cd player (gnome-cd) is
> silent. I've looked at alsamix and gnome-volume-control and both refect
> each other and seem ok.

XMMS comes with a CD player plugin which can read audio CDs digitally.
That doesn't need a cable between CD drive and sound chipset.