Reverse Question - FC2 Prints over network perfectly, Windows XP does not

Berg, Ivan Michael (Ivan) ivanberg at avaya.com
Tue Aug 24 16:17:28 UTC 2004

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pick someone's brain on this strange issue I have been
having with my printer. You guys are a sharp crew, and this is partial
FC2 question, so I am asking away here.

This is actually a reverse problem, in that all works fine printing to a
shared printer from my Fedora Core 2 box, but when printing locally to
the printer from WinXP, the printer produces horizontal lines!

Now, all used to be fine printing locally from WinXP to my old school
BJ200, with occasional horizontal lines fixed by cleaning the printer or
replacing the cartridge. Now, imagine my surprise when I print from my
FC2 box, and it prints flawlessly 100% of the time!

Every application in WinXP (Word, Firefox, Excel, etc.) now has trouble
printing locally with horizontal lines. Why does FC2 work fine printing
to the same exact printer over the network? Doesn't it eventually use
the same BJ200 Windows driver that seems to be having issues?

I have ruled out the printer as FC2 prints great. Does FC2/CUPS enact
different settings on the print job than XP would?
I am confused at this point, and have checked the very basic windows and
FC2 Cups settings to determine what might be different, but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ivan Berg

Here is the setup:
-Box1--
Windows XP SP2 with latest Canon BJ200 driver - shared on network

--Box2--
Fedora Core2
cups-1.1.20-11.1
libgnomecups-0.1.6-7
cups-libs-1.1.20-11.1
Connected to BJ200 shared printer over network.