AMDK6

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:48:13 UTC 2004

We're getting rather off-topic here...

Mike Burger wrote:
> As I recall, though, the initial message mentioned Fedora...ah, here it
> is:
>
> "i already have fedora core installed on my AMD K6(3D now)machine."
>
> Although, looking at it, now, I note the 3DNow notation, and I don't
> recall that being available on the K6 line...he may well have a K7
> Athlon/Duron) and just misnomered.

Jeff Ratliff replied:
> This probably refers to the K6-III (also called K6-3 or K6-3DNow!). It was
> a short lived processor. I think it came out in a 400 Mhz and 450 Mhz
> version. I'm running a 400 here in my little mail server box (it just
> serves mail to me, mostly). It had a weird tri-level cache structure,
> and the 400 Mhz version was just a tad slower than a P3-450. AMD
> dropped marketing for it as the K6-2 went to 450 and 500 Mhz speeds,
> then the Athlon came out, and it didn't matter any more. Here's a
> link to AMD's page on the chip.
>
> <http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1260_1288,00.html>

True, but the K6-2 had 3D-Now too (it was what made it a K6-2 rather
than a plain K6). As you implied, the K6-III was much more expensive,
came out rather later, and was rapidly replaced by the Athlon, so it's
a lot less common than the K6-2.

(I understand the K originally stood for kryptonite, from the Superman
stories).

None of this should affect the original poster...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "In these troubled times, it's always refreshing to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | see a major company concentrating on vital issues.