Does anybody know of problem running FC2 on Dell Precision Wo rkst ation 370?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 23:14:43 UTC 2004

Edwards, Scott (MED, Kelly IT Resouces) wrote:
> Anyway I rang Dell up and talked to someone in tech support and he said
> he didn't know of any reason that FC2 wouldn't run on that machine.  He
> couldn't find anything that said it was a 64-bit machine.
> If it isn't a 64-bit machine I can't see why there would be any problem
> at all.

Well, I thought Intel were only doing their version of AMD 64 on Xeons
at the moment. But a quick search on Dell's website leads to these
pages, which mention EM64T:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_370?c=us&cs=&l=en&s=bsd&
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_370?c=us&cs=&l=en&s=biz&

But it should run 32 bit Fedora perfectly well. 64 bit might be harder:
http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2158 says "Fedora Core 2
refused to install on the IA32e machine because there was no recognized
AMD CPU." But I can't see anything in Bugzilla related to this...

The main point to watch out for, presumably, is whether Fedora supports
the latest Intel SATA adapter. I notice that both pages list Red Hat
Enterprise Linux as a supported OS, so the outlook is good.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "[the computer] belonged to our Rabid NT Guy, and we
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | called it Kant partly because we were naming servers