Constructing a time structure(linked to directory structure)

Andre Speelmans andre at as.no-ip.com
Wed Aug 25 10:53:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:58:00PM +0500, meetkaustubhghosh at vsnl.net wrote:

>    I am trying to construct a time structure which will be linked to the directory
> structure in the file system.I try to clarify.The structure will store the date of
> modifications of a file.The main reason is to get better security.Let us consider a
> situation where a employee is to complete a report within a date .He didnot send it
> ,but later he just shifts the system date backwords,saves the file in the backward
> date and shows that he has completed the job in time.But the root user now with this
> time structure can look up as the dates of modification of the file.

[snip]
I can't help you with your quetsion, but it seems to me a better way to change
your procedures instead of your filesystem.

Let me explain.

Clearly you don't trust the user. I assume it is required for him to have the
privileges to change the date on the system (if he doesn't need them, strip
them and your problem is solved).

If you don't trust the user, why not change your procedure so that a report is
completed when it is on the system *and* he has notified his manager. His
manager can verify the existance of the report.

--
Regards,

Andre