nvidia problems again....

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Aug 25 11:18:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 01:12, François Patte wrote:
> Selon Phil Dybvig <fedora at ducksoup.afree.net>:
>

> > Bonjour Francois --
> >
> > >From: François Patte <Francois.Patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>
> > >To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >
> > >I installed nvidia stuff according to the livna web page claiming that it is
> > >better to use their rpm package than the "official" nvidia-installer from
> > >nvidia site... So now the problems:
> >
> > Did you try the nvidia installer?  It worked fine for me.  I'm not sure why
> > the
> > packages compiled for someone else's configuration is supposed to  be better.

I have never used the RPMs. Only the nvidia installer and it "just
works".

> I have installed the driver from rpm, because I think that it is easier to
> update the system using yum; in that case, when yum update the kernel I dare to
> think that the modules for that new kernel are also updated at the same time
> (That wasn't the case for kernel xxxx-2199-xxx

NOPE.  The binary part of the driver has to be recompiled for the new
kernel with every update I have done on the kernel.

The RPM may be a good way, but it is extremely easy to do the reinstall
using the nvidia setup procedure.