List of laptop (pcmcia) wirelss network cards

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Aug 25 11:39:19 UTC 2004

TroyGeek wrote:

> Does anyone have a list of pcmcia wireless networking cards (for my
> laptop) that work with fedora (currently running core 2) out of the
> box? I have three cards all of which I couldn't get working or the
> drivers don't work with the 2.6 kernel. I'd rather go to Best Buy,
> CompUSA, or some other store and buy a fairly inexpensive card and not
> have to tweak files, compile drivers, etc.

These are cards supported by the prism54 driver provided out-of-the-box
with FC2 (so to speak):

http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php

Note that there was a review by CNET in May '03 which identified the
Netgear WG511 and SMC2835W as having the best range/throughput at that
time.

The Netgear WG511 has a 3 year warrantee and can be purchased from
zipzoomfly.com for $43.50 (less a $10 rebate if purchased before 9/30).