route (is it forwarding packets?) (sorry if duplicate).

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 18:26:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:19, William Hooper wrote:
> Les Mikesell said:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 11:03, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> >
> >> I understand the concept, but have not heard of anyone, not even a
> >> rumor, that anyone has ever made use of such a service.  You are correct
> >>  about wanting Internet access and having a router that doles out the
> >> DHCP is pretty much the default.
> >>

> >> If anyone has used this or even knows the brother of a friend who may
> >> have used it once let us know.  I personally think this one was dead
> >> before arrival.
>
> It is the basis of Apple's "Rendezvous".  For a simple disconnected
> network (or possibly one machine with a modem) it makes some sense.
>
> > I agree.  The internet works because responsibilities are delegated
> > in a precise, hierarchical manner and wouldn't have a chance if every
> > machine guessed at an address that might work.
>
> Who said anything about using Zeroconf on the internet?
>
> http://www.zeroconf.org/
>
> --
> William Hooper

One machine with a modem?  How is that going to work?

Has anybody actually used it?  I think at the very least it is something
that should be disabled if you have other IP addresses configured or
better yet, disabled until it is explicitly enabled.  I need to find
time to run some tests but I am wondering if someone could use those
addresses to access systems on an existing network and if so does it
provide a way for someone to evade various IDS's?

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>