rsync (ssh) a fedora mirror

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Aug 26 07:54:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:19:57PM -0700, Mike Ramirez wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 14:21, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:52:45AM -0700, Mike Ramirez wrote:
> > > [ on rsync/shh etc. ]
> >
> > > Ok I'm not sure if you need to use ssh for your networks or for the
> > > servers.  If its for the latter with the default settings its not a
> > > problem I never had to authenticate except for atrpms but I skipped it.
> >
> > there are only anonymous services at atrpms, that means there is no
> > authentication required.
>

> I had tried and I got a welcome message that said if I wanted to mirror
> your server to contact you and then it jumped to the next one.

You mean the rsync service? The request to join the mirror-list list
is for coordination of time slots for regular mirrors (to avoid having
all mirrors downloading at the same time), and also for notifying
mirror admins upon upcoming major changes, so they can adjust their
mirroring configuration.

Anyone can use the service nonetheless anonymously.

> I assumed authentication.  It's not that big of a deal yet so I
> didn't worry about it and haven't contacted you about it yet.  Thank
> you for clarifying that.

You're welcome. On an on-topic side note, soon

rsync://rsync.atrpms.net/download.atrpms.net/mirrors/fedoracore/

will carry an rsync mirror of download.fedora.redhat.com (the mirror
is already in place, but is http only for the time).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net