printing to XP

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 09:40:33 UTC 2004

Hi Lewi

On Thursday 26 Aug 2004 9:57 am, Lewi Kristianto wrote:
> is there any way that we can raw print to printer
> that attached to winxp from linux using cups,
>
> the problem is that printer linux don't have driver
> because that's GDI printer (photocopy machine sharp
> ar-5316)

What do you mean 'raw' printing?  You can select 'Generic' 'Raw print queue'
as the printer type which will then send whatever you generate to the printer
without messing with it.

This does then mean that you need to generate the correct code within the app,
and therefore can't use it with a normal app, such as OOo.

Have you looked at the notes for the 'Generic' 'GDI Printer'?

I don't think Joel's suggestion will work because as far as I'm aware, the
host Windows PC doesn't do anything with an incoming request except SPOOL it.
Therefore sending a postscript doc would only work if the printer supported
postscript - at which point we wouldn't be having this thread.