Rpmbuild question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Aug 26 14:01:04 UTC 2004

Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> Oooops, one more question.  :-)
>
> If I just rebuilt the source rpm, then I guess I need to build a binary
> package after I install the newly rebuilt source package, right?

Nope; if you "rpmbuild --rebuild" a src.rpm package you'll just get the binary
packages built on your system, no new src.rpm. It would be equivalent to
"rpmbuild -bb specfile". If you do "rpmbuild -ba specfile" you'll get a new
src.rpm but unless you've edited the specfile, it won't have any significant
differences to the src.rpm you started with.

Cheers, Paul.