cdrecord and kernel 2.6.8-1

Esteban Xandri esteban.xandri at speedy.com.ar
Thu Aug 26 22:55:52 UTC 2004

Maybe I'm the only one suffering from this issue, but I have read all
the stuff related to the conflicts between k3b and kernel 2.6.8, and the
solution mentioned several times in the list (i.e. running k3b as root)
didn't work for me. Not only I wasn't able to burn a few .wav sound
files using k3b, but I also was unable to perform this operation
w/xcdroast (always as root...). I finally got my CD burnt using the
commandline cdrecord, but even that almost failed and I had to a use
strange mode (-raw96r) which rendered a poor quality recording. Just to
make sure my CD recorder was fine, I had to boot my Win partition
(which, by the way, had remained, until that moment, unused for more
than two months) and verify that the problem was not with the recorder.
I then installed kernel 2.6.7 back, and all the CD burning capabilities
came back to my Linux box.
Long story short: I've using Linux for the last 5 years and is the first
time that a step forward in the kernel development looks like two steps
back. I don't like the idea that new kernel development needs to be
released so fast to the point of ruining classic applications like
cdrecord.
I guess that J. Schilling shares my point of view... (
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/08/msg00108.html )
I hope the last kernel recently released (2.6.9?) can deal with this.
EFX