Linux-friendly ISPs?

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 27 02:07:20 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 01:43 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> snip

> what would make something "compatible with Linux"?  for the most part,
> a cable or DSL modem is just going to hand you an IP address anyway,
> so why would it matter what OS you're running?
>
> i've never had a problem dropping my linux laptop onto someone else's
> home network.  so what problem are you thinking of where linux would
> cause a problem and windows wouldn't?  just curious.
>
> rday

One example: I got an offer in the mail a while back from BellSouth that
promised me one helluva deal on DSL, telephone, yada yada. Sounded
interesting, so I went to their website to learn more. Well it seems that
they can only talk to either IE or Netscape; they certainly don't like Konq.
(Not an uncommon problem on Fortune 500 websites.) Yeah, I could have tried
spoofing or fired up another browser, but why?

Customer: "I'd like to buy a new Ferrari. Red, if you have it."
Salesman: "Sorry, sir, but we don't sell to people wearing plaid pants with a
striped necktie."
Customer: "OK. Is there a Maserati dealer nearby?"

-- cmg