Reverse Question - FC2 Prints over network perfectly, Windows XP does not

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 27 03:50:39 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:07 pm, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Berg, Ivan Michael (Ivan) is having quality problems with XP and his
> Canon BJ 200, but not with Fedora.

>>> snip

> Um. Printers of that era were designed for use with multiple operating
> systems. Those were the days of Amigas, STs, Psion organisers, NeXT,
> and all sorts of weird, wonderful, and wacky things. Definitely in the
> latter category was MS-DOS, an "operating system" so retarded that it
> had no concept of printers beyond "shove that ASCII to a printer
> port...", so each application had to supply its own drivers.

>>> snip

IIRC, many manufacturers did not provide drivers for older hardware when XP
was released, seeing it as an opportunity to sell the user a shiny new
gizmotch. Not sure why a printer company would do that since the money is in
the cartridges and not the original purchase, but the BJ200 may well fall
into that category.

BTW: Who'd 've thunk we'd ever see a posting about hardware not working under
Windows but runs just fine with Linux?

-- cmg