mounting cds still not possible

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Fri Aug 27 06:38:37 UTC 2004

Mike,

Mike G wrote:
> Hello,
>
> /etc/grub.conf does not have any reference to ide-scsi.
> lsmod does not show ide-scsi as a loaded module in the kernel.
> /dev/cdwriter points to /dev/hdc
> /dev/cdrom points to /dev/hdc
>
> I have updated Kernel to 2.6.8.  Still no success.
>
> I used cdrecord to burn the fedora 2 cds which I then used to install
> fedora 2.  Everything went fine with the install (fresh install from FC
> 1).  I also backed up bzipped tar files by burning on to cds. [Command
> was cdrecord -v- eject speed=4 dev=0,0,0 thefilename]

Is your DVD/CD burner recognized by cdrecord? Try

    cdrecord -scanbus

as root, and it should show something like

root at cassini / # cdrecord -scanbus
scsibus0:
         0,0,0     0) '_NEC    ' 'DVD_RW ND-2500A ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
         0,1,0     1) *
         0,2,0     2) *
         0,3,0     3) *
         0,4,0     4) *
         0,5,0     5) *
         0,6,0     6) *
         0,7,0     7) *

(Above output is from a suse90, but it should look allmost like this. I
don't have a FC2 box here right now)

> Now that FC 2 is installed I would like to copy the backup files off of
> those cds....
>
> I could not mount cds in FC 1 but could burn them.  I could mount cds in
> Redhat 9.
>
> I have an HP DVD / CD-RW.
>
> Ideas anyone?

Have you tried other programs like k3b or growisofs?

> Mike

Alex