Fedora Core 2 and WinXP dual boot

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Aug 27 07:13:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 07:55, Rohit Beri wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 19:08, Beri, Rohit wrote:
> >>I have read a few post on how this is done and few things one needs to look out for... In my situation I have 2 hdd for my dell latitude, one running WinXP and the other Fedora Core 2, I was swapping HDD before.
> >>
> >>Just yesterday I bought a media bay so I can plug fedora Core 2 as a second hdd. I was wonderding how to configure without formatting fedora core hdd to be able to chose which OS i want to boot to when I start the machine.
> >>
> >>Any pointers ?
> >>

> >There are a variety of ways of achieving this, some using the XP
> >bootloader to load grub (e.g. http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm) and
> >some using grub to load the XP bootloader (e.g.
> >http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html). I've used
> >both methods and there's not a lot to choose between them. Given that
> >your machine already has XP as the default OS set up though, I'd be
> >inclined to go for the first one, adding Linux as an additional OS on
> >the XP boot menu (the menu doesn't show by default if you only have XP
> >installed). You need to install grub or lilo on one of your linux
> >partitions (conventionally the root partition, e.g. /dev/hdb1) and then
> >have bootpart.exe add an entry to your c:\boot.ini to load up linux from
> >that partition.
> >
> >Paul.
> >

> Thanks for the pointer. I am going to work on this over the weekend.
> Will try to post my discoveries...

One thing to bear in mind is that, since you were swapping out hard
disks to switch between OSes before, your FC2 install will have been on
"hda", the first hard disk, but with the drive attached as a second
drive, it'll be "hdb" (or hdc, or hdd, depending on your cabling and
jumper selection). If your /etc/fstab mounts filesystems using the
"LABEL=" technique (it probably does), this won't matter as the kernel
will still find your filesystems, but any references to /dev/hda in
there will need changing to /dev/hdb.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>