can't change screen resolution

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Fri Aug 27 09:32:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 10:21 +0200, Pietro R.A. Binetti wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I am a new user of Fedora core 2, and a newer of linux-like OS as
>
> well.
>
> 2 days ago I installed Fedora on my notebook: acer travel mate 212T.
>
> I already have some problems that I can't solve:

Welcome to the community. Before I start may I make a few suggestions. A
large majority of people on this list would prefer it if emails are sent
using plain text, as apposed to any other format (rich text, html etc.).
So in future, could you try not to send HTML based email? :)

> 1. Screen resolution
>
> I can't change the screen resolution: it is fixed on 800x600!
>
> During the OS installation i tried to select "generic LCD monitor"
> with
>
> different resolutions (as my monitor is not in the list). In all
> cases,
>
> once installed Fedora, I can't switch the resolution to the wanted
>
> 1024x768. I tried to do that changing the Display settings in the
> System
>
> Settings option panel. I select 1024x768 but I still see in 800x600
>
> resolution.
>
> What should I do?

During installation was the graphics card detected properly? When you go
in to the graphics configuration system, has it "remembered" your
previous settings or do you have to reconfigure every thing again? In
the past there has been a bug where under certain circumstances this
information is not remembered, and as such not set.

It would be a good idea to upgrade your system to the latest versions of
"things", namely Xorg, and the configuration software. To do this, the
easiest solution is probably yum. Open up a terminal Red hat -> System
Tools -> Terminal. Then change to the root user, su - root, then run yum
update

This will download all the information needed to update your system to
the latest version. If your on a slow connection this may take a lot of
time (if your on a normal dial up, please let us know and we will be
more specific about what to update!).

Once you have updated every thing, see if that has made any difference
by trying to reconfigure the graphics.

Could you let us know what graphics card you do have? As there may also
be some known problems.

> 2. Touch pad
>
> My touch pad is working correctly, even if I have to touch the left
>
> button to press the left mouse button: pressing the pad with a "touch"
>
> it doesn't work. The "touch" isn't recognized, or something like that.
>
> Should I configure the touch pad somewhere else?

I believe this should be working, but it's not on mine, I think some
additional parameters need to be specified, however I do not know what
they are.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator