can't change screen resolution

Molina, Tom tmolina at cablespeed.com
Fri Aug 27 14:27:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:30:16 +0200
  "Pietro R.A. Binetti" <binabin at libero.it> wrote:
>I hope to correctly answer you: the detected hardware is
>the following
>
>Video card:   Trident CyberBlade (generic)
>Monitor Type: LCD Panel 1024x768
>
>I can change the Monitor type from Display settings
>option panel, and if
>I do that, the new values are remembred: I don't have to
>reconfigure
>every time. i read the new values in the Display
>settings, but the don't
>correspond to the truth. For instance, I am now reading
>1024x768, but i
>see the screen with 800x600 resolution.

Sometimes this problem is caused by lack of video memory.
 If your video card is "stealing" from main system memory
and there isn't enough memory for the higher resolution
you won't be able to use that resolution.  You might try
going into your BIOS setup and examining video memory use.
 Increase the amount of video memory in use and try again.