Fedora Core 2 instalation

Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com
Fri Aug 27 14:47:24 UTC 2004

NTFS support is not provided by default in FC2, but it is a simple matter to get it up and running.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs

However, as far as I'm aware, this driver only does read support dependably, and write support is experimental and dangerous.

There is a project called 'Captive' (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/) which apparently provides full read/write support on NTFS by using the original Microsoft ntfs.sys file. I haven't tried this personally myself but it looks promising.

The easiest way may be for you to install WindowsXP on a FAT32 type filesystem, as FC2 (and practically every other Linux distributions) has no problems reading and writing to this FS type.

Thanks,
Rafiq

 -----Original Message-----
From: Matt Upton [mailto:matt2 at roffs.com]
Sent: 27 August 2004 15:39
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Fedora Core 2 instalation

I'm installing Fedora Core 2 on a Dell emachines computer and want to partition the hard drive for 2 operating systems (Linux Fedora Core 2 and Windows XP).  Now my processor is AMD64.  My Windows partition is of type NTFS, can I still read and write to Windows from Linux Fedora Core 2 or do I have to change the Windows partition type, or should I maybe make 3 partitions and re-install Windows XP in a different  partition type VFAT or something.

I'm using Partition Magic 8.0 to partition my hard drive and for the dual boot.

Please help, thanks,

Matt Upton