How to make UTF-8 the deault charcater set in Gnome Terminal

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Fri Aug 27 20:13:15 UTC 2004

Reinhard Sy wrote:

> The default encoding is: ANSI_X3.4-1968

(Also known as ASCII.)

> I can select UTF-8 but I would like to make this the default. Where I
> can set the default character encoding for Gnome Terminal ?

I don't know about Gnome Terminal, but in the file /etc/sysconfig/i18n
you can set the default character encoding for the whole system. Add
".UTF-8" to the variable LANG. You probably want it to look like this:

LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"

("de_DE" means German. "i18n" stands for "internationalization".)

I'm not sure exactly how this file is used, but you may have to add the
same value to the list in SUPPORTED. It may look something like this:

SUPPORTED="en_US:en:de_DE:de:de_DE.UTF-8"

Are you sure it's UTF-8 you want? If you have existing text files they
may be encoded in ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15.

Björn Persson