Linux-friendly ISPs?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 27 23:54:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 19:39, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob Chiodini writes:
>
> > I am a Bellsouth customer and for almost a year had a SMTP server up on
> > my DSL link, but no more.  They began blocking port 25 traffic TO their
> > subscribers in an effort to stop SPAM.  I personally do not see how
> > blocking port 25 traffic to my IP address stops SPAM.
>
> Very easy: their network is infested with clueless imbeciles running open
> relays, or open proxies, on port 25.

Blocking outbound port 25 makes more sense for that.  Inbound port 25
blocking really only makes sense if they are trying to enforce their
rules for use of their network.  Most ISPs don't want users running
servers of any type, smtp, web, or whatever.

Comcast was suppose to have done this a few months ago.  However I don't
believe I have seen any reduction in spam from their domain.  So either
they did not cover everything, would think it would they would do it at
the main routers, or like so many ISPs it was lip service since they
make so much money from from spammers.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The ideal voice for radio may be defined as showing no substance, no sex,
no owner, and a message of importance for every housewife.
		-- Harry V. Wade