advansys scsi == ouch

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sat Aug 28 01:27:06 UTC 2004

I was suprised to be doing hardware upgrades today while upgrading about
15 boxes to FC2. Mostly a matter of going to spares and getting some
adaptec scsi cards and swapping out the advansys scsi cards.

 From what I can tell (doing web searches) the advansys scsi drivers are
no longer considered stable--one has to rebuild the kernel/modules using
"broken" drivers, which I won't do because I like keeping things stock
(and yum updatable). There are workarounds, like the dkms stuff, but
having used early versions of dkms for our nvidia cards, I'm very gun
shy of dkms--lots of problems with it, at least for me.

Sure caught me by suprise. It's unusual (in my limited experience) to
see kernel level support move backwards in this manner. What was
advansys thinking when they dropped the ball on kernel 2.6? (rhetorical
question).

"Thanks" adaptec for staying on top of things. I had enough spare
adaptecs to sort things out.

FC2 is working out very well for us (two days of testing and things are
great).

---
John