cracking winmodem issues in FC2

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 02:44:43 UTC 2004

On Friday 27 August 2004 03:57 pm, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Gabriel Mititica wrote:

>>> snip

> > log output kppp:
> >
> > ATZ
> > OK
> > ATM1L1
> > OK
> > ATDT96048224477
> > NO CARRIER
> > ERROR
>
> OK This looks promising.  If you get "OK" when you enter "AT" commands,
> then the driver is installed and the daemon is talking to the device.  It
> looks like it dialed the number but didn't contact a modem on the other
> end.
>
> Can you dial with Minicom?  Make sure to configure Minicom to point to the
> /dev/ttySL0 device (or whatever slmodemd tells you it is).  I use the 115K
> interface speed and N-8-1 format.  At least you can enter AT commands from
> the keyboard and watch the progress in real time that way.  You may even
> be able to make the modem audible and listen to the call's progress.

Actually, Gabriel is placing two calls. The initial "9" is a request for an
outside line from his local switchboard. When that request is honored and he
is granted an outside line by giving him a second dialtone, he then asks to
be connected to 604-822-4477. Since this does not happen instantaneously, and
the local switchboard may not buffer the ISP's number, he needs to have some
way of separating the two requests, and allowing the connection to be made.
The simplest way to do this is to insert a comma or two after the "9"; this
will generate a one or two second delay between the two portions of the
dialup dialogue. A more elaborate method would be to modify the dialup script
to dial 9, verify that a second dialtone is present, and then complete the
dialing process.

FWIW, I've always been of the MIL3 school (that turns up the modem speaker
volume to maximum); it can be a very useful tool in diagosing problems on the
phone line. Or you can always listen in on a telephone connected to the same
line.

-- cmg