Problem with YUM???

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 28 03:30:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 23:24, Bill Tetens wrote:

> I was given a site for a updated yum.conf file but am having a problem.
> I can get the file into a VIM file named /etc/yum.conf but cannot save
> the file.  Not sure what is wrong but would welcome any suggestions.  I
> first perserved the yum.conf file by using the CD /etc command under
> root.  That file does not exist but cannot write the file in the VIM
> program in place of it even though VIM shows that the file is named
> yum.conf.  It seems some type of restriction is on that file name or
> something.  Hope I have explained enough that you understand my problem.
>
> Help will be greatly appreciated.

/etc/yum.conf has 655 permissions which means it is read/writable by
root and read only by others only.

I am assuming you meant you did a cp /etc/yum.conf someotherfilename to
save a copy of the that file not CD.  cd is for changing your current
directory.

To edit the file you will need to have root permissions or be logged in
as root.  To do that issue the following command:

su -

It will prompt you for roots password and change the prompt to #.

Then use vi to edit /etc/yum.conf and save your changes.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Laugh when you can; cry when you must.