advansys scsi == ouch

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sat Aug 28 05:08:48 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 20:27, John McBride wrote:
>

>>What was
>>advansys thinking when they dropped the ball on kernel 2.6? (rhetorical
>>question).
>>

>Maybe something like 'an operating system that changes the driver
>api's yearly will never catch on'?

No, I'm using linux not windos...

Anyway I went through all kinds of sh*t trying to get updated drivers
and firmware for my cardreader last year, it came with 98 drivers but
they would not install or work on 2K, and the firmware was useless for
linux, the vender took months to get the stuff to me. Works fine on
linux now, but no way to update the firmware without windos. That was an
awful experience.

This probably has more to do with advansys getting sold (then sold
again) plus even their 2.4 driver had a few problems on some of our
boxes (sometimes they would burst messages about "vtable" or "vpointer"
errors into the logs).

---
John