cracking winmodem issues in FC2

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Aug 28 15:01:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Gabriel Mititica wrote:

> > Can you dial with Minicom?  Make sure to configure
>   > Minicom to point to the /dev/ttySL0 device (or
> whatever > slmodemd tells you it is).  I use the 115K
> interface   > speed and N-8-1 format.
>
> modprobe slamr
> slmodemd --country=CANADA /dev/tty0

What happens if you don't enter the dev parameter at all?

When I do (using ALSA), I see:

    SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.9 Jul 30 2004 21:39:49symbolic link
    `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/3' created.
    modem `hw:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/3'
    Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

> minicom:
> changed as suggested in config the device to point to
> /dev/ttySL0 (btw /dev/tty0 I put at the end is
> ``guesstimating'' - note that i said before that for
> some reasons /dev/slamr0 is not recognized)
>
> > At least you can enter AT commands from the keyboard
>   > and watch the progress in real time that way.  You
>   > may even be able to make the modem audible and
> listen > to the call's progress.
> I tried to figure out how to enter command without too
> much success.

Then I start minicom, alsready configured to use /dev/ttySL0 with 115200
8N1.  Whe minicom starts, it initializes the modem (but you can do so
yourself in minicom with "<crtl>-a m").  The minicom window opens and
reports:

    Welcome to minicom 2.00.0

    Compiled on Feb 17 2004, 04:52:10.

    Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

    AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
    OK

Getting that far indicates that the modem is operational.  You can test
the dialing by entering AT commands in the minicom window:

    ATDT9,555-4321

If the modem dials and connects at this point, then you should be able to
do it again with kppp (if that is configured correctly).

> Gabriel

		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu