cracking winmodem issues in FC2

Gabriel Mititica gabriel_mititica at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 29 01:36:13 UTC 2004

> Did you run "make install" as root after running
make  > to compile the drivers?  Do you have the
device file   > /dev/slamr0?  (What is the output of
"ls             > /dev/slamr*"?) The "make install"
creates that       > device.  You need for it to exist
before you start   > loading stuff.  (This is all in
the README file.)

ls -l /dev/slamr*

crw-------  1 root root 212, 0 Aug 15 09:29
/dev/slamr0
crw-------  1 root root 212, 1 Aug 15 09:29
/dev/slamr1
crw-------  1 root root 212, 2 Aug 15 09:29
/dev/slamr2
crw-------  1 root root 212, 3 Aug 15 09:29
/dev/slamr3

I read the README

> If that is done, then you should be able to
"modprobe > slamr".  If that works then you can start
"slmodemd  > --country=whatever /dev/slamr0"

Did these steps as well hundreds of times Previous
posts are giving the results.

> Try the above and let us know at what point it
> breaks.

I would say at

error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slamr0': No
such device error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'

when firing up slmodemd, after loading the slamr
module

with minicom altough i was typing what i mentioned
before, i didn't get on the screed anything but
initializing modem box and a blank screen after.

Regards and thanks again.
Gabriel

PS: I know that the AC'97 works fine. I have it on a
Dell laptop and modem is running without a glitch.